Copying folder problems over network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ever since installing Tiger on our network at the office, I've been having problems copying large folders from a server drive (set to ignore permissions) to and fro from individual machines.

Some of these folders will have hundreds of nested files and folders within them but some of them get copied over as incomplete... leading me to archive incomplete projects. Most of the folders are in the 3-5Gb range.

Could this be a drive, cable or network switch problem? What kind of verification, if any, does a copying process like this use?

I'm not sure on where to start trouble-shooting a problem like this. All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

BTW: I'm not due back in the office for a couple of weeks so can't look into any solutions right away.

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Server is a grand name for what is a G4 1.25 dual running 10.4.10... two internal drives; one 40gb for running the OS, a printing RIP engine and Retrospect, another 500gb Seagate for storing and retrieving data which gets backed up every night to an external firewire drive.

The other thing too, come to mention it, since upgrading to Tiger, the nightly Retrospect disk duplication of that 500gb drive is always a few Gb short on the external which is a bit weird, too.

Also now wondering whether the RIP sometimes might be interfering with the process... quite a few factors might be involved which makes this hard to pin down at first.

4. Queso macrumors G4

First thing I would do is verify the storage disk in Disk Utilities. That will tell you whether the disk integrity is okay. Do I take it the same drive is also handling the print spooling?

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, that gets handled by the 40gb drive which runs the OS, Retrospect and the RIP engine. The postscript files are stored temporarily within a hot folder within the app's folder.