Copying folders - insufficient privileges?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by themagichoof, Oct 10, 2017.

1. themagichoof macrumors newbie

I have a NAS set up. After upgrading to High Sierra, I can browse and fool with files normally on the NAS. But every time I copy any folder to my HD, it copies it along with a red circle with a white line through it. I have to right click on the folder and add permissions for my user account on my Mac to be able to browse inside and fool with files.

What do I do to fix this issue?

2. themagichoof thread starter macrumors newbie

There's got to be a solution to this. Surely every single folder I copy shouldn't look like this: [​IMG]

^^^ this is a screen I found on google, just to demonstrate the red circle and minus sign. Every time I copy a folder from my NAS, it does this, and I have to right click and assign permission on every single folder to even be able to browse it!

3. Fishrrman, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I will admit my lack of knowledge re NAS, servers and sharing.

If you click the "gear" icon in the get info window above, does it offer you any options for ownership of the NAS volume involved?

Is there any special software used to set up an NAS volume?
    If so, does it offer any way to assign administrative privileges (and thus the ability to change "ownership" of the drive)?

4. themagichoof thread starter macrumors newbie

The NAS is working via AFP. It shows up under 'Shared' in Finder, but when you click Get Info, the box that comes up doesn't have any of what's in the screenshot above (no gear icon or anything at all). The NAS has its own little interface for configuring/transferring files but I access it via Finder with a simple user/pass.

I highly doubt the problem is on the NAS side because this only started happening after I upgraded to High Sierra. There's a way to assign privileges (access) to folders on the NAS by user account, but I'm signed into the admin account via Finder which has access to everything.

There's gotta be a setting somewhere in OSX that will automatically assign access to everything. Hmm...