Copying fragmented files from a fragmented drive to a new drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ceet12, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ceet12 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

im sorry if this is a ridiculous noob qustion,!!

im still in the transition period from a windows machine to a mac

basically i have a drive with a lot of files of over 20 meg which is above the size osx fragments, (so ive read?) ive also read its not a great idea to defrag a drive in osx and also id need to buy an app anyway?, with this being an external hard drive ive heard it can best to back it up format it then copy the contents back?

The drive is near enough full has become very slow and im making a clone, a simple copy and paste to a fresh bigger hard drive

im wondering, because these files are fragmented, with me simply copying these file to the bigger drive, will this in tern make the new(well freshly hfs guid formated,) bigger drive fragmented?

as ive copy from a fragmented source?

again im sorry if this is plain ridiculous, i am a beginner with macs and im still involved with my old windows traits

regards

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No, in fact it'll have the exact opposite effect. The copy will be fully DEFRAGMENTED instead. When you copy the files back, the source will get defragmented fully too. ;)

(As it turns out, this trait of file fragmentation and copying is true for Windows too. People just aren't aware that that's the case.)