copying from one external to another

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greystre3t, Dec 27, 2009.

1. greystre3t macrumors newbie

hi all,
    i'm having an issue copying from one external to another (i just recently got 1TB for x-mas). both of the drives are western digitals, so they're very good. the problem i'm having is every time it gets to my iTunes music, i get this error:

You can’t copy some of these items because their names are the same as other items on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames

is there any way at all to fix this? thanks for your help

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What it's saying is that the file names:

• file.txt
    • FILE.txt

are seen as the same file name. You need to format the drive in a format that is case sensitive, such as HFS. Note, that Windows can't read that format though if you need that capability. So you either need to reformat, or go and change those file names.

3. greystre3t thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok, i see what you mean. now, are you saying to reformat the new drive?

scratch that. your solution worked, thanks : ) now, will there be anyway to re-format it again so that it can be compatible with a windows machine? its not needed, but it would help (such as copying photos off of it), but like i said, its something i don't need.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Windows only natively supports FAT and NTFS drives. With purchase of third party tools it can do HFS. Neither FAT nor NTFS can deal with case sensitive file systems. So if you want compatibility with Windows you'll need to either fork out the money for HFS support, or, the easier route, find the file names that are spelled the same and rename them and then you won't need to use HFS.