Copying from Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jmargolis, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jmargolis macrumors member

I'm copying files from my old Windows machine to my new Mac. On my Mac, I can see my Windows share and I can copy its contents to my Mac. However, I get this error:

The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

Digging deeper it looks like some of my photos are the culprits. But it's not really a permissions issue (File -> Get Info says you can read and write). Some of my photos are not viewable on the Mac (but are viewable on Windows). And there is nothing odd about these photos, they are in the middle of a bunch of other photos I took at same time. Only thing I can think of is these tend to be rotated, but there are plenty of other rotated photos that work fine on the Mac. I will try to attach one here (looks like it's too big 1.8M).

1. Any ideas why these photos give permissions error?
    2. Is there any easier way to copy files from Windows to Mac? Every time it runs into one of these files, it stops and I have to figure out where it left off and copy again in smaller bites.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if its only the photos, can't you burn them to a DVD and stick it in your Mac and copying 'em?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Flash drive?

ZIP the problem files first and cop the ZIP file over?

EDIT: Seems to be an error in the error. http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=16917

The problem seems to be with extended attributes, which are probably applied to your rotated pictures in Windows but won't carry over in the copy, so it says you don't have permissions.

B