copying harddrive with partition to external with os x/win7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Raidersmojo, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

someone point me in the direction of a program that will back up my entire harddrive as an image? I have to take my laptop in for repair and it has a partition so I can dual boot windows 7 and OS X. I don't want to take the chance of them losing it for whatever reason and not have everything backed up since its a pain in the ass to install again. anyone know of any solutions to make this as easy and painless as possible?

thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Disk Utility can make an image of your HDD, but that can be dangerous.
    Imagine you have all of your personal and system files (more than 100.000 files) crammed into one file, and it gets corrupt - then all your files are lost.

There is a better way to backup to an external drive, called cloning.

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper make bootable copies of your entire Mac OS partition onto another HDD, Winclone will do the same with a Windows partition.

Have a look at MRoogle (my sig), there will be more than plenty of threads about this.

3. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

what about for my windows 7 partition? it tells me I can't back that one up. what do you recommend? maybe I am missing something.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Winclone didn't work?

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=winclone+windows+7&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8