Copying install DVD's to external HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by synner, Jul 4, 2008.

1. synner macrumors member

synner

Hi All,

I hope one of you lovely Mac experts can help me......?

I am a relatively recent convert to the brotherhood of Mac, a few months ago I read a guide on creating an image of the Leopard install DVD on an external HDD.

This works perfectly and lets me do an install of OS X on my MB in around 10 mins.

I recently bought a MBP and wanted to do a similar thing, however, I'm not sure how this would be achieved given that there are 2 DVD's for the install..

I would also like to do this with my Logic Studio DVD's as it took nearly 4 hours to install all 7 disks last night and if I ever want to re-install or install on my iMac instead I don't fancy going through all that again !

Does anyone know how I can do this with multiple DVD installs ?

Thanks in advance,

Bri

2. G-Com macrumors regular

Just install OS X on the external drive. Just select the external when it prompts you to select the drive you want to install on.

To boot up in the external drive, just hold down the Option key during a restart and choose it when the drive select screen comes up.

Edit: One of these days I'm going to post a tutorial on how I set up my iMac and external drive. You can create a bootable backup installation and use Carbon Copy Cloner to move it to the main drive.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only 1 dvd is the os, the rest are the apps and such