Copying iTunes library to macbook from iMac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Samer670, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Samer670 macrumors newbie

I want to copy my entire iTunes library including all the old data such as play count and date added to my macbook air from my iMac. I tried importing all my songs using home share but that does not copy the data over. Is there a way to copy all the music and the data?

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I have found moving the entire Music folder from your old machine to the new installation works. I did have the same OS (10.6) and iTunes version on both machines.

3. Samer670 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually went with this method. I copied all the songs from the music folder on my iMac and put them in the music folder on my macbook air. Then I went to add to library in iTunes and added all of the songs, and finally I copied the .itl file from my iMac to the air and boom, all the data was there including play count and date added.

4. quasinormal, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I'm in trouble. In iTunes the library size is 910GB or so but in the finder it is over 980GB. I forgot about the 1012 bit addressing issue. Well i didn't know there was this conflict but it would not have happened if i wasn't so careless. I have another 5 gig to transfer and I've been busy buying.

I'm thinking of either 2 x 1TB in a RAID 0 or reverting back to an external. Internals better for the music because i can use the USB and firewire ports for DACs- there is some minor interferrence using the same interface. I use the USB DAC mostly so I can get by with a FW800 external till Thunderbolt enclosures arrive and then I can install a SSD.

I had to image the full MBP drive to a spare 2TB HD and am now going to use that booted via a USB dock till I've worked out what to do. I suppose I'd better order a Data Doubler to replace the optical drive in any case.