Copying just the music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andyd409, Apr 2, 2013.

1. andyd409 macrumors member

I just got my new 15" MBP. I want to copy just the music (no podcasts, no TV shows and no movies) from my iTunes Library from my iMac to the MBP I have a clone of the iMac drive.

Can I just attach the clone drive to my MBP, launch iTunes and let it find the music?

Or is their a better way?

Thanks,

Andy

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Navigate to the below folder on the clone and drag it into iTunes on the MBP to import the music.

Code:
    Users/[I]username[/I]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music

3. andyd409 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

Andy

4. babens macrumors member

Since you said you don't want to copy over movies, podcasts, or TV shows you should know that they are all stored in subfolders in the Music folder of iTunes (at least that's where my MacBook Pro has them located).

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are in subfolders of the iTunes music folder but not the music folder beneath that. At least on my system with iTunes 11.

6. babens macrumors member

I see the difference. Once I get into the "iTunes Music" folder all of my music is there in individual folders for each artist, with the movies, podcasts, and TV shows folders treated as an artist folder. Not sure why mine is set up like that, or if it's normal or not, but I haven't had any issue with it up to this point so I'm certainly not going to try to change it.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have iTunes 11? I think one of the iTunes versions changed the way this was setup.

8. babens macrumors member

Yep, I'm on 11.0.2.

Ah well. As I said, it still all works the way I expect it to work, so I'm not going to try to fix what isn't broken.