Copying Logic content and jam packs to another mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plymman, Dec 20, 2011.

1. plymman macrumors member

I just got Logic 9 installed from the app store on my macbook air but i'm on a slow connection and it was over a day before all the additional content downloaded.

I'm now installing it on my imac but before I do the tortuous additional content download, is there an easy way to copy it from my macbook to the imac without re-downloading it all again? I'm not talking about the app itself as thats only 400mb and an easy download, its just the 19gb of additional content i'd like to copy.

I have searched but can't seem to find an answer, most seem to be centered on running the samples from an external drive..

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can literally copy the app over to the iMac and shouldn't get any issue :)

The additional content is going to be an issue though as there's quite a few preference files that are hidden away in the Library folder that enable the virtual instruments and some of the loops to show up.

3. plymman thread starter macrumors member

Mmm, is there any way to copy the content? 19gb is a lot to get through on a 1mb connection!

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You can but like I said, some of the stuff might not work 100%, I tried doing it the way you're about to and Jam Pack 1 didn't install at all even though it was copied over and recognised.

The files will be in:

Library > Audio
    Library > Application Support > Garageband
    Library > Application Support > Logic

Copying over all of those folders to the best of my knowledge will give you your best shot at getting everything transferred over. I cannot guarantee how much of this will work though, as every time I've tried it's usually not worked 100% so take it with a grain of salt about how effective this is ok?

5. Andy001 macrumors newbie

Copying Logic - Did you try the suggested option?

Hi plymman,

Did you try copying the additional content across as suggested by Schtumple?

I am in a similar situation to you (***see below) and wondered if you tried it and whether or not it worked?

*** I bought Logic Pro 9 from the App Store and downloaded it to my iMac. The 400 'ish MB download was ok but the 4.6GB additional content that I tried to begin with took all night. I don't think I have any choice with downloading the rest of the additional content?? (the further 14 GB - approx) but I also want to copy it to my MacBook Pro and wondered if I could just copy it across from my iMac or whether I would have to download the whole lot again.

I've tried searching other forums and a general google but couldn't find anything. This might be because v9 has only just gone onto the app store and nobody else has tried this yet. If anybody knows of any alternatives that would be much appreciated.