copying Mac apps from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by summe247, Apr 17, 2012.

1. summe247 macrumors newbie

Hi all, first post, please be gentle. I have just installed an SSD into my Macbook and have installed a fresh copy of Lion. My original HDD is now in the optibay and I was wondering, with apps like Angry Birds etc that have save games, is it possible to transfer the app/save game accross to the SSD? I copied the app across from the applications folder, but my progress did not appear, just a new game as such! thanks in advance.

2. summe247 thread starter macrumors newbie

i should have been more specific sorry, is there any way to copy specific/individual apps, rather than migrating every app?

3. simsaladimbamba

That depends on the specific apps, as some have files/folders for support and preferences.

Have you started Migration Assistant and checked, if you can select what app to migrate or not?
    And if you have to migrate all apps, you can always uninstall the ones you don't want afterwards. Or you have to search for all folders belonging to one app you want to migrate and copy manually, which might introduce some permission problems.

4. summe247 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for your reply. i started migration assistant but i could not select individual apps and i'd rather not copy everything! regards another save game file for Asphalt 6, i can access the library of the hard drive the operating system is on by using Command+Shift+G and typing in ~/Library, but how do i access the library on the original (now secondary) hard drive that still has the operating system on it but isn't in use?