Copying/Merging Folder Thunderbird mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BarkingGhost, Nov 16, 2011.

1. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

According to MozillaZine, the save file locations for profiles (and the sub-directories foir Mail, News, etc.) are the same for Mozilla Thunderbird regardless of operating system.

This means that the under the ~Thunderbird folder (under the Users/User tree) I should find the same Profiles folder and profile.ini file. This should make it simple to install Thunderbird on Lion and literally copy the Profile folder and profile.ini file sourced from a Windows ~Thunderbird file.

My problem is I do not know how to make this copy/merge happen. I tried to use a small OSX app called Merge, but when specifying a target to merge to it cannot see the ~Users-iMac/Library/Thunderbird path in order to copy/merge.

Honestly, I know I am brand new to OSX (BSD/Unix), but this should be simple. I've already tested this out from one Windows PC to another (XP<-->W7) successfully, but the basic concept of copying file AND folders is surprisingly absent to me.

2. BarkingGhost thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, someone showed me how to see the Library folder in a Finder window. This is a hidden folder (do an 'ls -al' in a terminal window and note the '@'), but you can specify the Library folder while in its parent folder-directory.

Once I was able to do this in the finder window, I simply dragged and dropped the Profile folder and profile.ini file into the /Library/Thunderbird folder and the email messages and account settings were migrated.