Copying miniDV tape from camcorder to iMovie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by billy boing, Jul 23, 2008.

1. billy boing macrumors newbie

ok, I saw a post re: Panasonice miniDv but it went straight to software advice etc. I need to know how to cable connect my Panasonic PV-GS83 miniDV (tape) camcorder to the iMac or MacBookPro I have so that when I am in iMovie I can put the movie in there and save/edit/etc. the video.
    My camera says "digital video camera" but the only "out" connection is a single plug (like a mini-RCA ?) - and I believe it needs to go into a firewire. (?) but not sure.

Either way I have not seen a cable yet to do this. I found an "analog to digital" converter box but now after reading the posts here it appears my video is "digital" so that is not what I need.

Please help - please link to a cable or a provider or an answer.

I simply want to get my miniDV movies into iMovie.

Thanks so much for your attention and help! What can I do for you?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

According to the Panasonic site for your camera it has a MiniDV (IEEE 1394) port that you can use to transfer via mini firewire, kind of a rectangle port probably labeled DV IN/OUT.

Attached Files:

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Sorry to say this... but the only way you're gonna achieve this is by using a firewire cable! Look for something called iLink! Also, post your Camcorder's Model No. here!:)

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

He did put the model number in t=his original post.

Looks like your connection is underneath the battery. (found this in the manual)

Attached Files:

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Sorry.... my bad:eek:

OK, so it seems like all you need to do is visit a store and grab a cheap iLink cable! Search ebay maybe and you'll find lots!:)

6. drossad macrumors regular

Yes, you can buy the cable you need on the internet somewhere, or you can get it at the Apple Store online under "cables" for Mac accessories. You will need a 6 pin to 4 pin cable.

7. billy boing thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You !!!!

Wow, so simple - I feel a little stupid actually, but I did not see that under the battery !! You all are awesome, I can't wait to download my camera now!
    Thanks again!

Hope I can do something for you one day.

8. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

9. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

What a silly place to put a firewire port. My canon has it right up front.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

My old Sony doesnt have any ports on itself except the dc! It has a docking port below it which connects to a station (included) which has a plethora of ports!

But still... used to be a pain in the a** until stopped using it full time!:rolleyes: