Copying Movie DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrmarts, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hello all I'am loving my first Mac but I'am also hating the fact that I cannot find no DVD copying software like DVD Shrink or apps to unlock the DVD region like anydvd, does anyone know of any recommended apps for Mac to allow me to copy DVDs like pc.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use RipIt and Mac DVD Ripper Pro and have had no issues with either

3. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I have rip it to, but I like to copy the full DVD with menus and special features and how about unlocking the drive to play all regions.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Rip It and all the other ripping applications copy the whole DVD, including menus. If use MRoogle, you will find many similar threads, asking about an AnyDVD equivalent and how to make the DVD region free (which does not work with every DVD drive Apple uses). Btw, the ripping application removes the region code too.

5. macrazee macrumors regular

Unfortunately, there is not a single Mac DVD Ripper that is 100% reliable and performs all the requisite de-MPAA (region-free, etc). The best of the Mac crop is Mac DVDRipper Pro. I would say from personal experience it is around 80-85% effective; for the few discs it doesn't handle properly, I boot in to Windows running in a Fusion VM and use the ultra-reliable DVDFab to do it.

Stay far away from RipIt; it's a piece of dog crap.

6. PCforever? macrumors member

Hi Everyone,
    I too am a new convert to mac (about 3 weeks now) and I have searched high and low for a program such as you asked for...... with no luck.

That is until yesterday. Check out WinX DVD Ripper for Mac http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-for-mac/

It's not perfect but it goes damn close. It will rip to any format,has a simple menu system, haven't tried different region DVD's yet (don't think I have any). Please let me know if you try it.
    cheers

edit:- just reread the attached link....looks like it does support all region DVD's. "not perfect but it goes damn close"

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The ability of a software to rip or read and copy DVDs from a different region than the Mac is bought from, relies on the Optical Disc Drive (ODD), as that drive is the one, that is "locked" into a region (which you can change five times though). If you can circumvent the region lock of the drive, the software that does the ripping, doesn't really care.

Some ODDs Apple employs in its Macs are able to be hacked to be region-free, many are not. An external, region-free ODD (via USB) will solve that issue.

8. hinchesk macrumors member

To summarize

Sounds like most agree the best choice for ripping is MacDVDRipperPro (aka MDRP, $10) or Fairmount (free).

Doesn't seem to be as clear for remastering. The contenders appear to be: DVD Remaster (Metakine), DVD Copy for Mac (Danuisoft), DVD Copy (iSkysoft), and DVD2OneX (compresses but won't burn).

Anyone have suggestions for the authoring/remastering software that works best (for creating DVD backups, D9>D9 and D9>D5)? Since MDRP's website references DVD Remaster and Fairmount comes from Metakine I'm guessing DVD Remaster is the way to go.

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

RipIt! and Toast Titanium. RipIt hasn't failed me yet, and Toast Titanium will compress and burn the image to fit the DVD.

10. steveLONDON, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

steveLONDON macrumors regular

I'm just trying RipIt for the first time now, on a region 3 DVD I bought and paid for.

I want to re-burn the disk as a Region 0/All DVD. Is there any particular app I should use to make it R0, or just copy the files and burn via the OS?

Ugh.. RipIt seems to result in a single 'DVDPlayer' file. What is this? How do burn that as a new DVD?

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

If you just delete the extension .ripit (I believe that is what it is) it will be nothing more then an image of the DVD. There is a setting in the preferences to make this the default.

I use DVDFab to rip all my DVD and BluRay disks to an external HD. I take that HD to my Mac and use Handbrake to rip just the tracks I want for my AppleTV. DVDFab work 95% of the time, the rest of the time I use RipIt -- it has NEVER failed, but it is slower.

12. steveLONDON macrumors regular

Thanks, it turns out you can get to the TS video folder by right clocking 'Show Package Contents'

Also, the burner I'm using DVD2One 'detects' that the DVD player file does in fact contain all the DVD files.

Made the duplicate, just have to test it on my home machine tonight :|

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I'm very pleased with Mac DVD Ripper Pro. never had a problem. Try it, I think I got 10 free rips for the trial