Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a104375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "file" can't be read or written (error code -36)"

Appears when attempting to drag a file to our shared server (Mac Mini running OS X 10.9) from two different iMac's, however our windows machines have no such issue. The mac gives this error when attempting to transfer one file or multiple files. After clicking ok on the error it will transfer the first file only. If you try moving a folder only an empty folder shows up on the server.

It apparently hasn't always done it, so something must have changed but I'm not positive what would have changed. I've checked the permissions on the drive the file share is on, and made sure that user could read/write the drive, and then propagated the permissions to all folders on that drive.

Any ideas of things to check, possible root causes?

a104375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
I've found somethings regarding the switch to SMB from AFP. The user having the issue mentioned the issue starting a few months ago, up until January or so the machine was running Lion which would still have been connecting via AFP. I have seen reports of SMB causing these type issues.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Yep; SMB vs. AFP is likely to be your issue.

You can force an AFP connection by entering afp:// in front of the server IP when connecting (Finder, Go menu -> Connect to Server...). Likely to solve the problem.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
It is....

AFP still works great. But they're no longer developing it. SMB is the default now, but it just isn't quite there yet. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.