Copying Originals Folder of iPhoto Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by anirban, Apr 23, 2009.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I wanted to backup my iPhoto pictures, all the original ones. I know in my other Macintosh, I could simply go to Finder>Pictures (under Places)>iPhoto Library>Originals. Here I could simply copy the Originals folder to a disc and save it.

However, in my MB, when I go to Finder, I do not see Music, Movies, Pictures under "Places". So I click on <MYNAME>, then Pictures>iPhoto Library.

Here, "iPhoto Library" is marked as an application it seems. When I double click on it, it opens up iPhoto, instead of taking me to the next folder.

So I right click on this iPhoto Library, and do "Show Package Contents" and then I see the folders, and select my Originals.

But the trouble is that when I burn the Originals to a disc, it cannot be read by any Windows computer, or any photo printing machines at the stores.

Can anyone please tell me how do I fix the Finder display in my MB so that it shows the Picture,Movies,Music under Places, and not have "iPhoto Library" marked as an application?

Thanks a lot!

2. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

iPhoto Library is part of iPhoto ~ it will always open in iPhoto. Best not to muck around with it.
    The original folder contains nested folders which if burnt to disc can be opened on your Mac.

If you want to open the disc on a printer you will have to copy and paste the actual photos out of the original folders into a single folder then burn the contents not the folder.
    S.

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Agreed -- stay out of the finder! Corruption will ensue! For the photos that you want to back up, go into iPhoto, select the photos you want to back up (by "roll", "event", "album", etc.) and use the export function to export them to your desktop. Using export will allow you to choose the size you want to keep (probably the largest, so your quality will remain). Then burn them to disk from the desktop. They will be readable on PC's as well as macs.