Copying path from Finder window into Open or Save Dialog

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KevinPlusPlus, Jan 22, 2008.

1. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

I recently switched to the Mac after many years on Windows and have found something that I really miss and wonder if I'm missing something obvious.

I frequently find myself wanting to copy a path from one Finder window to another (including a file open or save window in a program). In Windows Explorer, you can copy a path from the path bar, and then paste it into any open/save box and instantly be at that same path.

I have not been able to find any equivalent in Mac OS X. Is there any way to "tell" one Finder window to show the same folder as another open Finder window? Whether through copy/paste or another mechanism is fine.

Thanks in advance for any tips. If my question isn't clear I'll try again to explain it.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

To get an open Finder window's path into an Open or Save dialog, drag the icon from the top of the Finder window into the space where you normally type the name. I hope I explained that correctly... Maybe someone can explain it some other, more comprehensible way?

3. KevinPlusPlus thread starter macrumors member

I understand perfectly, this is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you thank you!

4. weizilla macrumors regular

This is exactly what i was looking for too. It took me a while to realize that you can't put paths in the name of the file you're trying to save like you can in windows and then I was at a lost of what to do. It seems like you just have to drag the little folder icon to the part of the open/save dialog where you do the actual browsing as if you're moving the folder there. Thanks!!