Copying Personal DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 93BlackSVT, Jul 24, 2011.

1. 93BlackSVT macrumors member

I have a DVD of my wife and I's wedding and would like to make a copy of it. Are there any free programs out there that will let me do this? If so, what are they and any assistance with the program would be much appreciated!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Disk Utility should do it. Video on writable DVDs does not use copy protection.

B

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I personally use Handbrake for my personal projects. It's very user friendly so you don't have to be a computer engineer to use it. Did I mention it's free?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does Handbrake write out to DVD now? Been a while since I used it.

B

5. simsaladimbamba

It does not do what the OP wants though, that is what Disk Utility is for.

No.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

You can take a DVD and copy it to your desktop and then copy it to another dvd. It may be easier to do so directly with disk utility but Handbrake can do it. Of course, I write my DVD's in MP4 format. If you're looking for regular dvd format you can also check out iDVD. Again, disk utility would be easiest for you.

7. simsaladimbamba

Handbrake is not for copying video DVDs, it actually just transcodes the MPEG-2 video to MPEG-4 (H.264) after the video DVD is ripped with another application or Handbrake (+VLC) itself.
    And just copying a video DVD's content via Finder, even if the video DVD is not copy-protected (called CSS), will not work either, as burning a new DVD from the copied data will just create a data DVD.
    Using Disk Utility ensures, that the user creates a video DVD copy from a video DVD, as a video DVD is not the same as a data DVD.

8. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I havent used it in a while because i like macdvdripper pro and wondershare but cant you just use handbrake along with burn...both those are free.

9. simsaladimbamba

Can or can't?
    No to can, as it would include two transcoding (re-compresison) process instead of none.
    Using Handbrake to transcode to MPEG-4 (from MPEG-2) will result in limited image quality loss. Then using burn to make a video DVD will again need transcoding to MPEG-2 (from MPEG-4), which again will introduce image loss.

Sorry to be so adamant about it, but for my work I had to copy dozens, if not even hundreds, of non-copy-protect DVDs (which were created in-house) to other DVDs, and the simplest and fastest way was via Disk Utility.

If copy protection is involved, one has to use a ripping application like MacTheRipper (version 2.6.6 is free) and then Burn or Toast Titanium to burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder as video DVD.

Again, a video DVD is NOT the same as a data DVD.

10. Sam2lucky13, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

Ahhh I did not know that's good info. im usually ripping copyright protected content but its good to know