copying photos from external hard drive to iphoto

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bro4dhead, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bro4dhead macrumors member

Hi there

I've backed up my hard drive files using another mac to an external hard drive because it was failing to start up and needed restoring to factory settings.

How would I move the iphoto folder that's been saved to the hard drive to my macbook so they are saved on the macbook and I can access them through iPhoto?

thanks

Ben

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The first questions to ask are:

1. What do you suspect is wrong with the (old) internal drive?
    2. Have you tried booting in "safe mode", to see if you get a "good boot" that way? (hold down shift key at startup)
    3. What method did you use to backup the files? Was it:
    a. Time Machine
    b. CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, or
    c. Just a finder "drag n drop"?

3. bro4dhead thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response.

I took it to the apple store and they said I needed to back up files (drag and drop) using another mac through fire wire then start fresh which I have done.

Just wondering now the easiest way to copy photos, music etc back to the macbook.

4. JenPoMas macrumors newbie

Backing up files

I use ChronoSync (from Econ Technologies) to back up my music, photos, documents, etc. to an external hard drive. Over the years, there have been instances where I inadvertently deleted files from my Mac and I had to sync the files back to the Mac from the external. ChronoSync performs flawlessly. Been using it for years for my backup/sync needs and I've never had a problem. I pretty much set it and forget it! :)

5. Redsfan macrumors regular

We are in the midst of buying 2 mac's for the family, yikes! On my daughters mbp have simply taken photos saved on our external and dragged to iPhoto directly and it was easy as pie..

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you want the apps (iPhoto and iTunes) to manage the content again then just run their import tools (File/Import), point to where the media is and let them do their thing, both should import and copy the files to their own libraries on your Mac as they import.