Copying photos to iCloud

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Narked Diver, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

My wife has a large photos library on her MBP and she's just gotten around to getting enough storage in the iCloud to back them up there

I started running the upload for her and it's taking forever and I'm not happy leaving the MBP plugged into the mains for the length of time it's going to take which will make it take even longer ;)

My main photos library is on my Mac mini which only really runs as a iTunes server for my Apple TV

What I'm thinking of doing is copying her photos library onto an external hard drive, creating her a profile on the Mac mini which is linked to her iTunes account, logging in to her account via quick switch account, copying her photos library onto the Mac mini, then starting the upload process there and quick switching back

I'm hoping the upload will continue to run in the background under her profile even though I'm using the main profile - is this a valid hope?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Sounds like a lot of loop holes that could be remedied by merely leaving the laptop running. But yes, certainly doable. You may end up with a lot of duplicates though, based on personal experience.

3. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

I'm just wary - the last time my wife left the laptop plugged in for a while the battery overheated and went pop which meant forking out for a new battery - that is the scenario I'm trying to avoid ;)

If the upload was going to take a day or two I wouldn't be so concerned but after a day only about 5 percent of her library had uploaded - leaving the laptop on for 20 days days worries me!

I'm a little happier leaving as desktop turned on constantly - particularly a mini