Copying Sky Plus Content to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r3dt3ch, Apr 6, 2012.

1. r3dt3ch macrumors newbie

Does anyone have experience with transferring content recorded on Sky Plus to a Mac ?

There appears to be a variety of solutions such as video cards, dvd recorders and even cracking open the Sky Plus box and accessing the hard drive. How do you do it?

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean apart from the solutions you already found, and are probably uncomfortable doing?

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Panasonic DVD-Recorder.

Sky+ dumps the incoming sat signal to the HDD, and uses the viewing card to decode it when playing back. Unlike some Freeview/Freesat recorders it doesn't just dump MPEG2 to the disk that you can copy off.

4. r3dt3ch thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not a question of being comfortable. It's a question of peoples experience and deriving the best solution. Why do people respond to questions when they have nothing to offer? Ridiculous.

----------

That's what I've read. Picking the files straight from the HDD would be apart of the most elegant solution, shame it can't be done. I imagine you go through quite a lot of DVDs doing it that way?

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Panasonic also has an HDD so you can do some basic editing on the machine then transfer/archive off to DVD. I tend to use DVD-RAM or DVD-RW for transfers. ;)

I didn't actually buy the DVR with this in mind. My apartment building only has a single LNB feed so they initially refused a few years back to install Sky+ as it needed a dual feed. I used the Panny with a standard Sky box which remotely woke the recorder when required. Now Sky+ works on single feed I've upgraded to Sky+ HD.