Copying songs from one iTunes library to another while retaining track info?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattG, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

NOTE -- I'm not illegally copying anything. This is in reference to content going between my own personal computers.

That being said...I have a problem. I have two iTunes libraries on two different computers. Two separate libraries (and no I don't want to sync them completely). Every so often, I have the need to copy songs from one to another. This is what I do:

1. Go to the songs at the file level.
    2. Copy the folder to a flash drive.
    3. Drag the folder into iTunes on the target computer.

What's happening is the songs come over, but many times they don't come over with artist/album names and song titles, leaving me to manually rename everything. How can I copy/export these from the source computer, and put them on the target computer and still retain all the tags?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Have you tried the "Home Sharing" feature at all?

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

No, but I also need to be able to copy this data to different iOS devices (one is a work device and one is a home device, so different iTunes accounts). Does that make a difference?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If they are all authorized to use the same iTunes account it should work very smoothly.

Home Sharing works really well, including with iOS devices.

B

5. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

They're not using the same account, though...different iTunes accounts. One is work, one is home.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The songs should have their metadata (title, album, artist etc.) stored on the file themselves. Is the audio you're trying to copy in MP3/M4A format? Does the info appear in the window when you quicklook or open it in another application (on the original machine)?

7. philden macrumors newbie

What you are doing should work. I do this a lot, usually over an ethernet connection, but have used an intermediate flash drive.

I can only think of two reasons that it might fail. One is that the file format you are using for your music does not support internal saving of the data. I think that only aiff format might have this problem.

The other reason could be that you are copying the wrong files. Do you have more than one copy of the music files on your computer, inside and outside the iTunes library?

Phil.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

WAV too, but just convert these to ALAC if you want to use them everywhere.

I think there may also be some issues with OLD MP3 files with old ID3 tag formats.

B

9. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Oddly enough, it seems like it's only the music I've purchased from iTunes that does has this problem. When I drag it to the computer, the only thing that comes over is the track name, except it puts a number in front of it (e.g. "01 Song" instead of "Song"). It brings over nothing else.

Music that I've ripped from CDs or purchased from Amazon comes over just fine.