Copying VIDEO_TS file from a DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SpreadHeadLINC, Mar 23, 2010.

1. SpreadHeadLINC macrumors newbie

So I typically use handbrake to rip my DVDs, but as far as I know, I can only create AVI's and MKV's from Handbrake (correct me if I'm wrong). I also really like having the VIDEO_TS file intact on my computer, so that I can still access the DVD's menus, special features, etc.

Sometimes I am able to just copy the VIDEO_TS file directly off the DVD to my desktop, but sometimes it says that I "do not have the permissions" to do so.... or something along those lines. I understand that most DVDs are protected so you can't just copy them, but it seems that my computer allows me to copy the VIDEO_TS sometimes and not others. And this is with the SAME DVD.

Yesterday I popped in a movie, and started copying the VIDEO_TS file directly from the DVD. I had to leave early, so I cancelled it, and when I tried again later with the same DVD, it said I did not have permission.

So I have 2 questions:

1) Anyone know why I am getting inconsistent results here?

2) Can I use Handbrake to rip the DVD and still retain the special features, etc?

Thanks for any and all help!
    -Andrew

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I can't answer you one, maybe use MRoogle to find out why.

I can answer you two, which you could have answered yourself in less than three minutes via MRoogle.

Handbrake is not a RIPPER, it is an ENCODER.

Use MacTheRipper, Fairmount or RipIt to RIP.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

More specifically, Handbrake rips and encodes in one step. There's no way to just rip with Handbrake.

Like spinnerlys said, you need MacTheRipper, Fairmount or RipIt. I prefer RipIt. It's not free but it works every time.

You can't just copy the VIDEO_TS folder off the disc because it is encrypted. A ripping program will decrypt it for you.

4. SpreadHeadLINC thread starter macrumors newbie

THank you guys, I appreciate the help.

So now that I've made the distinction between an encoder and a ripper, and understand that there is an encryption on the disk...how come I was able to copy it to my harddrive earlier today, but not now?

Another example: I copied "The Reader" to my harddrive two days ago. I just dragged the VIDEO_TS file from the DVD to my desktop. It copied like a normal file no problem. Now I pop in the SAME movie and it says I don't have the permissions and therefore I can't copy it.

The reason I really posted is to find out why I am having this inconsistency of results. This isn't the first time it's happened (one second I can copy off the DVD and the next second I cant) and I am really curious as to what is going on.

Any ideas?