copymove -> paste. deleting the folder im replacing.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 199708, Dec 30, 2008.

1. 199708 macrumors 6502

Ive lost numerous images/video's so far because of this.

normally on my windows machine, I can copy/cut a folder from say the computer hard drive and paste it on my portable hard drive as a backup. It will ask me if i would like to overwrite the folder with the new folder. As i have hundreds of folders in there, its easier to just copy the folder.

However if on my hard drive I've deleted the last batch of images as I've backed them up. i tend to just copy the folder and replace the folder on my portable drive. this completely erases all the files and replaces them with the folder and files inside from my computer when i selected the copy/move option.

All i want to do is select a folder and copy it to my portable, without it deleting any files that are in the folder of the portable. WHAT DO I DO?. i only have 2 options, 'STOP' & 'REPLACE'

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

There's no way around this AFAIK. It's something that has to sit on the backbone for the next time you copy-move and paste folders.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X is not a version of Windows. In Windows, moving one folder to another merges the contents of the two. That is not how the Mac works. On the Mac, folders are objects. Moving one folder to the location of another with the same name replaces the folder at the destination. If you want to add the contents of one folder to the contents of the other, then you must open the source folder. You may then drag&drop the contents of the course on the destination folder. You may also copy and paste.