Copyright Infringement?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AFABS, Mar 21, 2009.

1. AFABS macrumors regular

AFABS

I put a video on facebook last night. It was a montage (stills/video) of our snowboarding season. It got removed about 5 hours later for copyright infringement. I'm assuming it was for the music tracks I used because the footage was rightfully mine. However I gave credit to the musical tracks at the end of the movie and this was in no way an advertisement for anything, so what gives? Does that constitute as copyright infringement???
    BTW I have it on vimeo with no issues, but I doubt they're gonna take it off.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you don't have expressed, written consent to use other people's property odds are you are infringing on their rights. Sites that host content will typically err on the side of caution because they don't like getting sued.

Lethal

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

probably......can we assume you didn't get a license to use the music, etc.? Clearly somebody (the musicians or their publisher or the recording company) was being pretty aggressive in protecting their rights as owners of the work you used. Giving them a credit doesn't mean anything as far giving you the right to use the work and neither does the fact you didn't use it in an advertisement.

4. AFABS thread starter macrumors regular

AFABS

yeah i didn't have any licenses. i guess i find it lame cause i see other people with videos with copyrighted music all over the web. but honestly, what recreational film/movie makers go out and get licenses for this stuff. seems like it would be time/money consuming.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

"I see other people with videos with copyrighted music all over the web ...."

It depends on the artist, or the representation of an artist, if your or other's videos will be pulled down / silenced or not.
    If the artists don't like the use of their music without getting paid for it, they sure make their legal moves.
    But others don't. Why? I don't know, maybe they are not greedy enough, or like that their music is being used to create something new.

I have several short films on YouTube with a lot of music I didn't get licensed.

Only in one video (after 2 years) the music was silenced (the video was still there only the soundtrack was shut off) due to Copyright Infringement. It was a film cut to "Time of Your Life" by Green Day.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If you're a "guy with a camera making a video for YouTube", you probably wouldn't think to get music licenses, but pretty much everyone else making an indie film or other type of production does. The "little guys" can often get away with it because it's just too much for the lawyers to try to keep up with.

It can definitely be time and money consuming. Unfortunately, it's the reality -- you need to do this because the music is protected by copyright and the copyright holders want control over how and where their music is played. I think the reasoning is sound. Whenever I hear Bob Seger's "Like A Rock" I think of Chevy trucks. There are probably other songs that you associate with commercials, movies, your wedding and other events -- music evokes a powerful emotional response and association. You can imagine that an artist may not want their music associated with particular events, products, organizations, political views, etc. And of course in a case where their music does lend impact in a work, they deserve to be compensated for it.

It's not necessarily expensive or difficult. I once cleared rights to use a piece of music in a promo video I made for a charity. They charged me a bit under $100 and limited my usage to 300 copies over 3 years, with no internet or broadcasting allowed.