Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicrose

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Hi. I might have to draw a fountain or some kind of architural feature for an invitation package. The feature would be of a fountain or something found at the actual place of the event, which is a mansion that is pretty well-known.

The people I'm doing it for are only renting the space for the event. They don't own the place.

I need to know if there are any copyright issues in simply drawing stuff that looks exactly like or very similar to an architectural feature found on private property. I'm guessing photographs are out of the question, as I have had experiences before where I was not allowed to use them. But what about illustrations (drawn by me, not taken from some other source)?

Anyone know the legal issues? I'm from California, USA.

Thanks.

Nicrose

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
That's a good question. I would think any work of art, etc. would be the property of the mansion that your clients are renting. They should allow you the use of images for that event only. I wouldn't copy it and use it for other uses. By the way, I may be picturing the wrong fountain at a mansion that is famous and is used a lot for charity and publicity events, but I am picturing one in particular in the HH area of SoCal

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If the architectural feature is visible from a public spot, a drawing or photo of it is okay in the US. link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.