Copyright/media ownership & my site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Sackattack, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sackattack macrumors newbie

Essentially i'm creating a modest site for games and possibly other media, but I'm worried about issues i'd run into if i just started downloading flash games from other websites and put them on mine. How can i go about this with no legal issue, or creating as little conflict as possible? Do i have to ask the creator for permission, or simply show that i'm not calling it mine, etc?

2. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You need to ask for and receive permission from the content creator.

3. jtara macrumors 65816

ORLY?

Next tough ethical question: "Do you think there would be "issues" if you went down to a local store and helped yourself to the contents of the cash drawer?"

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

trick question...? haha

5. Sackattack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

As close as those two things are, I'm referring to games that are free royalty, and distinguishing those from ones that are not, or games that no longer have a creator that is reachable

6. jtara macrumors 65816

Well, you didn't say that.

If the game is royalty-free, then you need to go to whoever created the game and see what their terms of use are.

The only case where you can use a copyright-able work without permission is if it is NOT copyrighted - i.e. it's passed into the public domain after the copyright expired, or was explicitly put in the public domain by the author.

Most games/applications/etc. that are "free" are copyrighted and subject to some licensing terms. The licensing terms may be as simple as a requirement to give credit to the author.

But you need to go to the SOURCE (the author) and see what the terms are. You may or may not have to actually "ask" permission - it may be granted automatically. But "go to the source and ask the horse". Don't get the games from "other websites", but from that of the author, who I'm sure will explain on their website whatever terms are required for use.

Unfortunately, if the author cannot be located, that does NOT give you permission to use a copyrighted work.

7. Tiggs macrumors 6502

Would take anything down immediately if you are unsure about it. Jsut need to ask for permission first from the copyright holder.