Cordless Mouse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by camardelle, Aug 20, 2011.

1. camardelle macrumors 6502

Just picked up my iMac a couple days ago. I've been a pc user since the old DOS prompt (C:\). Yes, I'm that old. :) It's kind of like learning to walk again switching to a Mac, but I'm having fun.

In any event, My question is on the Magic Mouse. When I picked up my iMac, I opted for the track pad which is great, but I think that with iMovie, I might like the mouse better.

My question is whether I can have both the mouse and track pad attached via bluetooth to the computer at the same time. I'm thinking so, but I wanted to ask.

If I can, then I imagine the same would hold true for the keypad as well, correct?

Thanks in advance for the advice. All input is welcomed.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, you can have the trackpad and MM connected at the same time.

3. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the confirmation. I forgot to ask, can I use one of the spare cordless mice I have laying around here till I can pick up an MM, or does it have to be an Apple product in order to function? Come to think of it, I still have a couple wired mice in a the package that are USB, Will those work as well?

Sorry for the questions. It's not easy being a noob, despite how easy I make it look. LOL

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I hate the magic mouse. I have an old logitech corded mouse and a touchpad connected at the same time and it works fine. I'm not fond of cordless mice - they are awkward to use for me. And I certainly remember the DOS prompt and also stuff before that, like Multics.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^And I love my Magic Mouse.

You should be able to use them. All you need to do is connect them and see if they work. There are no drivers to install.:)

6. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

I just hooked up a wired mouse I had laying around and it worked without issue. It'll do till I pick up a MM or something else. I'm working on some video of me riding my bike. Thanks for all the help guys. Great forum.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

8. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Back even further

Anyone remember punched cards, VW sized computers, Fortran and Cobol?

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

As uncomfortable as the Magic Mouse is to use for extended periods, once you use the multi touch surface theres no going back to a crappy scroll wheel.

10. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I currently have the BT keyboard, MM and MTP all hooked up to my iMac so I can confirm that they all work. Other mice will work as well. I've used normal nice in Tue past and they worked fine but eventually most of them broke. The MM is great once you get used to the feel of it.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have worked with fortran.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

As do I.

Absolutely agreed on the "never going back" but even with my large hands I've never found the Magic Mouse to be the least bit uncomfortable to use.

With BetterTouchTool, the Magic Mouse is amazing in Lion. 2 finger swipe up for Mission Control, 3 finger swipe up for Dashboard, 4 finger swipe up for Launchpad. 2 finger swipe left and right for forward and back pages in Firefox. 3 finger swipe right to close windows, etc.

The combinations are vast. For me, it's the best solution. I need a mouse. A trackpad doesn't cut it. The Magic Mouse is the best of both worlds once you get used to it.

13. basher macrumors 6502

basher

IMO the MagicMouse is awkward to use over long periods of time. It also isn't the best choice for gaming.

I switch between the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and a Logitech mouse on my iMac. when I go from MM to the Logitech mouse the Logitech feels light and zippy.

14. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

I've noticed that logitech mice tend to have faster tracking speeds than the MM, even when both are set at maximum. Usually, the logitech mouse is too fast to use on full tracking speeds, since I'll miss radio buttons or click the wrong one if I'm not careful. It definitely makes navigating a 27" 1440p screen a less timely process if you can use it properly.

Personally, for daily computing, I use my MM. For what little gaming I do, I tend to just use my PS3 controller and gamepad companion.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Not for me. IMO.

16. camardelle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again for everyone's input. I ended up putting a usb mouse on the iMac and for iMovie it worked great. I got this computer to do some simple video editing and within a very short period of time, I was able to produce a decent looking vid with transitions and text and music. Absolutely amazing.

I've always laughed at Macs and Mac users, not believing what they were paying for computers, but I have to admit that I'm a believer now. What a great machine!

I'm looking forward to more video editing in the future, and to learning a lot more about this iMac. I'm just crawling now, but hope to pick up speed soon enough.

Thanks again everyone.

17. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

youngling

hey thats the stuff i've heard about :eek:

I'm glad your enjoying macs. I too enjoyed windows, but took the leap on a friends recommendation. never went back :)

18. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

How do you do that??

19. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

There's an $8 Application on the MAS that allows you to use a third party controller (Ps3 works great, haven't heard good things for the 360 though) called Gamepad Companion. There's a legitimate free version on the internet, but it is very old and buggy. The PS3 controller then connects to my iMac through bluetooth.