Cordless phone advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, Aug 21, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I couldn't find a good place for this, so here goes. I need a new cordless phone system for home, preferably with at least 4 handsets. I have a Mabook, 2 iMacs, :apple:TV, iPhone, AEBS-n @ 5GHZ, and a Linksys-g router. With the mixture of 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, plus the mandatory microwave, I am looking at DECT 6.0 phones. I am currently looking at the AT&T SL82418, Panasonic TG1034 (TG103x series), and Panasonic TG9344/TG9334 (TG934x/TG933x series). I got the AT&T yesterday and it works pretty well, but the blue display is horrible (fuzzy, dim, low contrast) and very hard to read. Does anybody have experience with any of these or similar phones? Can any of them retrieve messages from the handset? What are the displays like? How do the 5.8GHz phones fair in a home with wireless networks (they are much cheaper)?

2. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Never mind, I just picked up a Panasonic TG9334 at Fry's at lunch.
    They actually had the phones powered so that you could check out the displays and the menus. This model has a very white display that is easy to read, and many more features than the one I got yesterday (you can even check voice messages from the handsets). I think the handsets are more usable too, even though they are somewhat smaller. I will probably end up taking the at&t phone back.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Update: I got the Panasonic hooked up last night and it is such an improvement over the at&t that they don't even compete! The Panasonic handsets feel much heftier and more solid, the displays are clear and easy to read, it is MUCH more configurable, the answering machine can be used from the handsets, and the sound quality from what I have seen so far is also far superior. And all for only $10 more! The at&t is definitely going back today.