Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reno55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
I upgraded my imAc that has a core 2 duo 2ghz with 4gb ram and it just seems well sluggish. Mainly in ableton live and some others apps......some people have suggested it is that it is running in 64bit mode?

Anyone have any insight?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have lion running on my old mini with the same processor and tbh 4gb of ram just don't cut it!

reno55

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Yeah it is definitley seeming like either its needs to be patched more or I should just give up putting lion on it....I am torn on which one

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It really depends. I have 3 Macs in the C2D 2-2.33Ghz range with 2-4GB (3GB usable) running Lion. While I would want something faster as my main machine, the older machines are still very usable. They work fine for tasks like video playback, browsing, document editing, light Xcode and light image editing. But they do choke on more intensive task like manipulation of RAW image files. I've never used Ableton, but it appears to be an more intensive app.

To be honest, I didn't see a significant performance impact when upgrading from SL to Lion. If you are seeing a dramatic performance drop, it may be a problem with the application (or you were borderline with the needed RAM under SL).

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
i am running on a c2d with 2gb ram and performance is not much different to sl

the only exception seems to be Safari, this uses loads of ram so if i want to run Lightroom I need to close Safari, i do notice the fans or more when using this in Lion, but no performance issues

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
i am running on a c2d with 2gb ram and performance is not much different to sl

the only exception seems to be Safari, this uses loads of ram so if i want to run Lightroom I need to close Safari, i do notice the fans or more when using this in Lion, but no performance issues

Safari has a bug in Lion where RAM is not properly released. I'm using Chrome for now on my older machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.