Core 2 Duo Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macornomac, Nov 12, 2007.

1. macornomac macrumors 6502

Alright guys just need to get some things straight. I've got the macbook 2.16 core 2 duo. It came with 1gb and I just upgraded the ram to 2gb with two 1gb sticks. Now after reading around in the form everyone is going crazy with upgrading to 4gb of ram, meaning 2 2gb of ram. Well my question is do I really need all that ram???? I don't do crap on my macbook. Just surf the net and use itunes and adium. No graphics, no photoshop or all that stuff. I'm still on tiger and maybe later will get leopard. So is 2gb ok or go ahead and get the 4gb. I'm just a little steamed since I should have got the 4gb in the first place haha. So what are the benefts guys????????

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Only the new MacBooks can use 4 GB of RAM. You can put 4 GB in yours, but only 3.2 GB will be recognized. Or you could replace one of your 1 GB sticks with a 2 GB stick and get 3 GB, fully recognized.

But it sounds like 2 GB is enough for your needs anyway...I'd probably stick with that.

3. macornomac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I knew only 3.2 would be recognized but was worried about mismatching and all that crap. But just wondering because everyone is going goo goo about the 4gb because it's cheap now haha. In a way I wish I would have done that too but it doesn't make the macbook faster does it????

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It doesn't make it faster...it helps keep things from slowing down. If your current amount of RAM isn't the limiting factor in your system's speed, then more of it won't do a thing.

So as I said, if all you're doing in web, iTunes, and chatting, 2 GB should be just fine. If you're noticed your system acting sluggishly, then maybe think about it.