core 2 duo MB or core duo MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rookiemac, Aug 8, 2007.

1. rookiemac macrumors newbie

WHich one you you guys go for... i know the MBP has teh better video card, but its slightly older, but the MB video card does not allow u to use aperture or final cut properly.... any advice?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro w/X1600 runs $1,499 (maybe even less) refurbished. Is that within your budget?

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

CD MBP for what you are doing. Hands down. Bigger screen, video card better for gaming/videos etc, my CD runs great. Sure it's not the newest, but it runs really well and I think overall would be better for you then the MB c2d if you are lookin into graphics or aperature.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Aperture does run albeit not greatly, I haven't got any experience myself, but people have reported running it here.

As for Final Cut... the MB isn't officially supported by Final Cut Studio, but you can install it no problem. On something like FCP (which is CPU intensive) will run very very well. Motion, however, will be a lot slower but still usable - Color I believe is more problematic.

These tests are a little old (both MB and MBP were CD), but should be useful for you:
    http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717

It's a bit hard to say as you didn't give any idea to the models (e.g. processor), but when coming to something like FCP, you would get better performance with the MB if it's C2D and the MBP is CD.

However, a CD MBP still runs FCP beautifully and it sounds like you would benefit from having a video card, so I would go for the MBP - also as Eidorian suggests, you could get pick up a C2D MBP for a reasonable amount.