Core 2 Duo redundant in 3 years?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superatombomb, Nov 20, 2009.

1. superatombomb macrumors member

superatombomb

i'm considering getting the 21.5" iMac with the ATI graphics however i will need the imac to last at least 3 years. The most intensive thing i do is photoshop, illustrator, etc... and i won't be doing video editing or anything like that. Will the present core 2 duos be able to handle cs6 in three years or should i wait until i can get the quad core iMacs?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While they likely will still be able to run it, the question is how well. Personally I'd wait if keeping it three years is a priority.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Wait until you can get one of the quad cores.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A Core2Duo will certainly last three years, You might want to replace it at that point, but that seems to be your intention anyway. By the time you're ready to upgrade to CS6, you'll probably be eying a new computer anyway, whether you buy C2D or i5/i7 right now...

That said, if you can afford to wait, the i7 machine is very, very quick, judging by the benchmarks...

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

all i can say is i hope my coreduo suffices for another 2-3 years lol

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo is already two years old in the processor arena.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

pffft. it will work fine.

My 27 month C2D 2.4 iMac runs CS3 just fine -- and crunches big PS files no sweat -- 200 gig multi layer files + open, close, rotate, whatever

150 page color magazines in Quark 8

10,000 fonts in Suitcase

in another 6 months, it will be doing the same thing fine

one thing about graphic files -- an 8 X 10, 300 dpi photo today is the same size as it will be 6 months from now, and the same as 6 months ago. thats not gonna change. So if I can crunch that file not problem with my iMac now, nothing is going to change in the next 6 months that make that any different.

8. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

So what?

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Older means more experienced. :D

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple once again is late to the game and with a dead socket. Core i5 or bust and the lower end models should at least sport a Core 2 Quad. It's a shame really.

11. superatombomb thread starter macrumors member

superatombomb

is it likely that apple will put a quad core in the 21" at the next refresh?

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I expect the Core i5 750 to trickle down to the base 27" iMac from the $1,999 one.

I have no clue what Apple is going to do with the remaining LGA 775 Core 2 models. The might disappear entirely under H57 and Clarkdale or they might go Core 2 Quad 65W after all these years of waiting.

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple should of done this:

21.5" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 9400M
    21.5" 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ATI 4670
    27" 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 ATI 4670
    27 " 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 ATI 4580

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The E8600 over the E7600 is only a significant improvement in price.

On launch I thought the base $1,699 27" iMac had the Core i5 750 but I was sad to learn the truth. I agree with you for the most part.

15. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

Dear Eidorian,

Would you help me to price a Windows-based Self-Build Computer, with same specs as the iMac i5/i7 ?
    I'm asking this to you, because i think you're the one with the super "Leet" Hardware Lingo, and the only one who knows all those stupid Intel's codenames.

But, i have some restrictions:

If you could post all the parts and their respective links here, it would be great.

Thanks.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not sure if you're serious or not Horus. Otherwise I can just point you to a Dell XPS or Vostro Core i5 desktop, get the Dell display with the webcam that's on sale on Black Friday for peanuts, and don't skimp on the next business day on site warranty.

17. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Thousands of people DO THIS every day. You're making yourself look like a fool D:...

Eidorian is making some valid points. You, however, have yet to contribute anything useful to the thread other than make an ignorant statement about how you can't pick out PC components in an intelligent manner.

18. superatombomb thread starter macrumors member

superatombomb

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The current iMacs will be able to run CS5, what's the problem with just using that for a while if CS6 comes out before your 3 years is up?

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

When has Adobe CS every really broken its support of older hardware? In my experience your current machine will run it but you'll have to make up for your hardware with patience.

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It'll be interesting, the heat problems are something that means that Arrandale will likely be the next option - whether that is in January/February with the MacBook Pro's or later on, it will obviously happen at some point.

22. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

I'm contributing with something useful, since the OP wants to know if the iMac is going to last for 3 years, and I want to build a PC so i think i'm not going off topic.
    I can choose the PC Components by myself, what i'm wondering is why Eidorian says that the i5 iMac should be 1699, when, in no way, i can price a cheaper PC solution similar to the iMac.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Arrandale would be a step back with the gains Apple has made into the 65-95W processor arena.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What do you mean? I thought that the reason they were able to go to desktop processors largely had to do with the size of the 27" allowing much better cooling?

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 21.5" iMac is using the 65W rated E7600 with the option for the E8600.