Core 2 Duo Screen in Core Duo Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nitrocide, May 8, 2008.

1. Nitrocide macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Hello, i recently made hold in my macbook pro screen and so it doesn't work. There are a couple of replacement LCD's on ebay that look good. I would prefer an LED screen, but would this be compatible with my macbook pro?

Some of the items on ebay say 20 pin and some say 30 pin, i didnt realise components like this had changed to this degree in macbooks.

If anyone has any insight that would be amazing, im a student so paying out £100+ for a wrong screen would be really bad.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

you'll need a different type of inverter board as well if you're trying to replace just the lcd panel.

apple just sends the entire top assembly for replacement on the SR and newer models so i can't comment on how to replace the actual panel inside.

3. Nitrocide thread starter macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Ahh well I know how to replace the LCD inside an Apple display so thats not really an issue.

I guess the next question is, would a later generation inverter board work in a Core Duo MacBook Pro!?

(at this rate i will have replaced every component bar the logic board by 2009, already had to replace the keyboard, both fans, ram, battery, power brick, airport card, optical drive)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you get a LED panel you no longer need an inverter board. (LEDs don't use inverter boards)

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

right, but you need the LED "inverter", or the LED Display Driver Board.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

In the newer LED panels, the LVDS cable incorporates the LED backlight power which probably accounts for the increase in pin count.

-yes Apple tends to tweak the design ever so slightly when a product is refreshed.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont think the led screens will be compatible (connector/pins) on the older macbook pros.

9. Nitrocide thread starter macrumors 6502

Nitrocide

Haha, OK then!

I think i am going to try and find an LED Inverter and see if it fits then make a decision accordingly.

Thanks loads for the fantastic help though guys, if anyone knows any more definitive answers that would be great, but if not ill try and remember this page and post the definitive answer from experience!