Core 2 Duo Vs Core 2 Extreme?

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

As very detailed technical specs for the current iMacs are not easy to find, I was wondering if anyone here knew about the 2 "types" of processors.

Essentially: is the Extreme the same thing as the duo, only 16% faster, or do they have other differences.

Thanks

Nisaea

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Hello,

As very detailed technical specs for the current iMacs are not easy to find, I was wondering if anyone here knew about the 2 "types" of processors.

Essentially: is the Extreme the same thing as the duo, only 16% faster, or do they have other differences.

Thanks

Nisaea
Faster and more onboard Cache, afaik.

Comment

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I had both and i don't really see a difference both 4GB ram equipped... During handbraking iMovie I didn't see much of a difference that was with a 2.0 and a 2.8... :eek:

Comment

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I wanted to hear... no reason to pay all that cash for a 16% in pure processor speed.

Now all that remains to be seen is: can I use this to photo edit? (I'm following other discussions)

Nisaea

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hello,

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what I wanted to hear... no reason to pay all that cash for a 16% in pure processor speed.

Now all that remains to be seen is: can I use this to photo edit? (I'm following other discussions)

Nisaea
It'll process images faster but it's up to you if you think it's really that worth it.

Intel's page is showing more cache...

*edit: nevermind, there are 4MB c2e's.
You need to make sure it's not the quad core Extreme and that it's either a laptop to desktop version. ;)

Comment

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
Hello,

Nisaea
The Intel Core 2 Duo? Yes you can. I can run Photoshop CS2 on my C2D no problem. IMO there's no need in worrying about these "speed boosts", they're not really significant enough for the average user to really notice.

Comment

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Just to clear things up: I know that the iMacs have the "power" to process images. What me and other people are wondering is: do they have the "screens" to do it properly?

Nisaea

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.