Core 2 Quads hit street Nov 13th

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
132
0
I realise it is still early in the transition to iNTEL but I am feeling a little behind the times compared with my PC friends.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=16156

While I continue to wait for a Core 2 Duo chip for my MBP I am wondering why I'm not shouting for more.

Is Apple so enamored with iTUNES and the iPOD that it has placed its other departments on autopilot?

What happened to "Think Differently"?

I'd love to use OSX on a new HP desktop by Christmas Day!
 

John Walsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
6
0
...

usasalazar said:
...What happened to "Think Differently"?...
Dunno—I've been wondering myself. I never heard of QuadCore yet—thanks for pointing that out—and if if Apple comes out with PowerMacs (MacPros?) with Duel QuadCore chips—I don't CARE if they're not thinking different!
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
"Workstation" my friend, is the operative word in the press release

HP is releasing obscenely expensive, hot noisy high end workstations.
"The computers will probably use Intel's planned Xeon 5300 chip, and are designed to run high-end applications"

Hardly "street" level desktop machinery.

Hang onto your britches.
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
usasalazar said:
While I continue to wait for a Core 2 Duo chip for my MBP I am wondering why I'm not shouting for more.

Is Apple so enamored with iTUNES and the iPOD that it has placed its other departments on autopilot?
Nope, you just don't understand intel's system.

The chips being referred to here are Clovertown Xeon 5300s. These are server/workstation chips like the Woodcrest Xeon 5100s in the Mac Pro. They are pin compatible, and engineering samples have already worked stably in a Mac Pro. They do not clock as high as the Woodcrests (topping out at 2.66 rather than 3.00) and have both higher heat output and higher cost. For properly multithreaded apps they will work beautifully.

You are waiting for a C2D Macbook Pro? Good, wait. I have news for you, there IS NO quad core notebook chip currently on the roadmap for the relatively near future. After Merom comes Merom-800MT/S and then Penryn, which is still dual core, a die shrink to 45nm.

This doesn't affect you in the least.
 

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
1,456
127
it is for the professional level machines.

Apple needs to release a new mid level line between the imac and mac pro.

that uses core 2 extreme chips.

it would help alot to bridge the performance gap. that or drop price on mac pro towers with the new quad core chips coming.
 

devincco

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
77
1
mdntcallr said:
Apple needs to release a new mid level line between the imac and mac pro that uses core 2 extreme chips. it would help alot to bridge the performance gap. that or drop price on mac pro towers with the new quad core chips coming.
What do you all think of the possibility of either apple releasing a mid-way desktop, or lowering the price on the mac pro actually happening? I would love to see something that has similiar specs to a iMac but without the screen. I know I saw a article that apple submitted a patent for a "cube" design about a month or so ago. That would be sweet... Bring back the Cube!!! Anyway, for my needs that would fit in perfectly.
 

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
586
0
NYC
I really hope the Merom comes out soon because i've been putting off buying an apple laptop for like 2 months now.
 

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
1,334
0
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Before ordering my Woody, I had considered waiting for Clovertown. But, I do not see that as the next quantum leap forward. The only app I use, which would possibly gain significantly by it, is Lightwave. Right now, I cannot put any stress on either Quad (G5 or Intel). I think the apps need to catch-up and hopefully a bus design that will open up the current FSB bottleneck.
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
SMM said:
Before ordering my Woody, I had considered waiting for Clovertown. But, I do not see that as the next quantum leap forward. The only app I use, which would possibly gain significantly by it, is Lightwave. Right now, I cannot put any stress on either Quad (G5 or Intel). I think the apps need to catch-up and hopefully a bus design that will open up the current FSB bottleneck.
It's called Common Systems Interface, would have been out very soon if not for the Whitefield scandal. I think now it's set for 2008-09....
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.