Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
So I was browsing newegg, when sudden;y I stumble upon an Intel Core 2 (Duo) Extreme. It's a Conroe chip, 2.93GHz, 64-bit, and over $1,300. Amazing. Could possibly be in a high-end Mac Pro?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
These should fit in a Core Duo's slot, correct? The reason I ask is the possibility of upgrading in the future. Of course the warranty would go straight down the drain.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Steve1496 said:
These should fit in a Core Duo's slot, correct? The reason I ask is the possibility of upgrading in the future. Of course the warranty would go straight down the drain.
Wrong. The Core 2 Extremes are Socket LGA 775, while the Core Duos are Socket 478. They fit in completely different sockets. The Core 2 Extreme's only fit with current Pentium 4 and D fittings, but the Core Duo's are by themselves. It would have been nice, though.

As for the warranty:
(insert that brilliant photo of the word "WARRANTY" heading into a toilet):p

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Ouch.

My wallet hurts. :(

The money for that ONE chip could build me an entire AMD 64 X2 computer system with SLI, buy me a iMac or Macbook, or pay a months rent on my house, buy myself a very nice and big TV, etc.

Thats insane.

The most I've ever spent on a processor is 98 dollars for my AMD Athlon 64.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
kildraik said:
Could possibly be in a high-end Mac Pro?

It has already been discussed numerous amounts of times here.

I think they'll use Conroe in low and mid-range Mac Pros an Woodcrest in the quad confic (high-end)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.