Core Animation requirements

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yadmonkey, Oct 21, 2007.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I haven't been able to find any system/GPU requirements for Core Animation. Seems like it does significantly more than Core Image so I'm guessing the requirements have been upped, but so far I'm coming up blank. Anyone know?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sticking with it's an extension of Core Image.

3. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

It just seems unlikely to me that with all of the new visual tricks in the OS, the massive bump in system requirements, plus the new "core animation", that the video card requirements will remain the same.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What massive bump in requirements for Core Image?

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Core Animation
    Core Image
    Core Audio..........

all seperate API's, even though sometimes they will be utilized in conjunction with each other to accomplish certain tasks.....

6. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thanks for that Smurf!

Eidorian, I appreciate your chiming in and I hope you're right! That said...

I think you misunderstood me. The massive bump I was referring to was in system requirements - the 567 mHz bump from 10.4 to 10.5 (compared to the bumps from 10.3 to 10.4 and from 10.2 to 10.3, which I believe were 67 mHz each). So my point is that with this in mind, it just seems likely that the video card requirements for some of these Core API features will be upped as well, particularly for the new Core Animation.

I wouldn't be surprised if some video cards which supported Core Image will not support Core Animation, but it seems the available info is negligible.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Leopard runs fine on slower Macs. It's Apple that created an imaginary minimum requirement for performance.

The base operating system only need a Mac with a PowerPC G4. The GUI will be much more responsive when you add a video card with Quartz Extreme and Core Image support.