Core Audio (coreaudiod) busy doing nothing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randyhudson, Feb 14, 2010.

1. randyhudson macrumors regular

I wonder if the audio problems on the Mac Pro affect all Macs? My MBP shows coreaudiod pegged at 6.9% when I'm completely idle, and of course not emitting any audio.

Why is coreaudiod so busy doing nothing?

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

3. randyhudson thread starter macrumors regular

Really, rebooting? That's your suggestion? How does that address the actual problem?

[​IMG]

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Sometimes coreaudio gets stuck for some reason. I've seen it happen on my MBP sometimes, but I don't know why it happens or how to prevent it. Rebooting usually resets it, although just killing the coreaudio process might work too.

I don't know the details about the Mac Pro problem, but from what I've read I know it only happens while audio is playing, and there is an increase in CPU temperature without anything showing CPU utilization.

5. randyhudson thread starter macrumors regular

Screenshot must have timed out

I guess the direct URL to my twitpic JPG is not a permanent URL. Here's a screenshot.

http://twitpic.com/13l6g7

BTW, I started killing processes (just applications) the last time this happened, and eventually it went back to idle. It may have been Adium??

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

The exact same thing happened to me last night for the first time.

I just killed the process (hope that is okay?) and it hasn't come back yet so I'm hoping everything is okay

Not a huge deal, just slightly annoying...