Core Duo 2.16 MBP upgradeable to 4 GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clix Pix, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have a 15" MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz that I purchased in May 2006. It has two memory slots, with 1 GB in each slot right now, adding up to 2 GB RAM. I am wondering if it is possible to put in 2 2GB sticks instead and have 4 GB RAM? I realize that it may actually only be useable at around 3.3 GB, but that still provides more memory than the current 2 GB.

I did run a search to try and find the answer already but only found inconclusive answers way back in 2006 around the time the machine was newly available. I hope someone has a definitive answer now, as I have a potential purchaser who wants to buy my machine if it can be upgraded.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thanks! I also just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support and they said the same thing, that the machine will only support 2 GB RAM. Oh, well....

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

EveryMac.com also adds this note to your machine.

Doesn't sound promising, Clix Pix. :(

Whoops. A fraction late with that reply.

5. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Thanks so much, BV! I've printed out the info. (Also bookmarked the site for future reference, too!) The guy who has expressed interest in buying my machine wants to up the RAM beyond the 2 GB I'd maxed it out at when I bought it because he does a lot with memory-intensive programs. Personally, for a few hundred dollars more I think he'd be better off buying a new aluminum more easily upgradeable MacBook at this point, taking into consideration what he wants to do with the machine and his budget......

I'm not terribly concerned about either the RAM upgradeability issue or this being a deal-breaker for him, as I hadn't really actively been attempting to sell my machine in the first place: it was one of those things which evolved out of a couple conversations about Macs, him playing around with the machine one day and then with him suddenly asking if I would sell it to him.
    Since I now use my MBA for all of the situations in which I'd previously used that 15" MBP I said, "hm....yes!" He rang me up today to inquire about the RAM upgradeability and so on, and I could see that it would make a difference to him. Since I was not setting out to sell the thing in the first place, my heart won't be broken if after all he says, "nope, I need more RAM" and starts looking elsewhere..... In the long run it's important that he get what he really needs and wants.