Core duo 2.2ghz MBP and lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Desmondtutu, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Desmondtutu macrumors newbie

I'm considering upgrading my newly refurbed MBP from 10.5 to lion, can anyone advise if this is a good move with regards to speed/performance etc?

Also I edit using final cut express 4, will this work with lion or will I have to get final cut x (which I have read is dreadful) and if so has anyone had any problems running it on an older MBP?

Thanks in advance.

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I suspect a lot will depend on how much memory your machine has. You'll want a minimum of 4 GB but preferably 8 for the sort of thing that you're talking about.

Final Cut express does (surprisingly) run in Lion. You won't notice a performance boost and Lion does tend to be more memory hungry but as long as you have enough RAM you should be OK.

3. Desmondtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the standard 2gig of RAM, to be honest it's only something I'm considering as it does what I need just fine and I will at some point get another mac primarily for editing, also I'm unsure on final cut x as it just looks like iMovie with a few extras. I quite liked the idea of the new operating system but in reality it's only appearance that is difference eh? I was just wondering how it runs with regards to speed etc .

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Lion will not run very well on your older core duo machine. The system requirements even mention that it will run only on core 2 duo and older systems. Your 2GB's of RAM will really be pushing it as far as usability goes.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I'd say skip it.

I'm running it on a 2.4 c2d with four gigs of ram...just an FYI, lion takes about 800 Meg's more of ram on boot, and frankly without multitouch, there aren't a huge amounts of benefit.

If you already use resource heavy apps like final cut, your just cutting into those resources by running lion IMO.

I certainly wouldn't even consider it without a ram upgrade, and even then, I personally don't think it's worth it...

Clean system lion takes 1-1.2 gigs of ram for just the OS.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

The OP is already maxed out on RAM for that model.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Core2duo maxed at 4gb officially. I believe you are incorrect here.

I'm using a mid 2k7 Santa rosa machine which can actually use 6

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It won't install..its a core duo not core2duo..i.e. 32bit processor..

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

There were no Core Duo 2.2GHz so its a Core 2 Duo and yes Lion will install on it but with 2GB of RAM you will struggle. Try to get to 3 or 4GB at the very least or go for Snow Leopard instead...or just sit tight with Leopard.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

11. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I'd also be inclined to do a clean install rather than upgrade - give your Mac every chance of running as fast as its short little legs will go.

I have a mid-2009 13" MBP - 2.26 Core 2 Duo. Lion runs fine. I started on 4GB & upgraded to 8 but haven't noticed any difference - 4GB was enough (I know some will disagree..)

12. Desmondtutu thread starter macrumors newbie

My apolgies it's a core 2 duo, though this thread has made my mind up not to upgrade, thanks all for the input.

13. ericDylan macrumors regular

I upgraded my Air with 1.86 C2D with 2GB of RAM. It runs flawlessly--no lag at all. It sounds like, other than the SSD, your system seems more powerful than mine.

You should definitely be fine. I would say, if you are apprehensive, you should look at the upgrades to see if they are worth the risk(which, I think, are nonexistent ;))