Core Duo and Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaGreat01, May 3, 2010.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I was looking to buy a MacBook on eBay or Craigslist and see that there is a little difference in price when it comes to the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. My questions is, is there a significant difference in the two. I know that there IS a difference, but is it noticeable in performance.

I would be upgrading from a Dell Intel Centro if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

(lets see how much nicer the MacBook forum people are compared to the iPhone guys lol ;))

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

A Core Duo MacBook has a limitation of 2GB of RAM maximum installed where the Core 2 Duos can handle 4GB or more. Please note that the pre Santa Rosa Core 2 Duos can have 4GB installed but will only utilize 3.3GB of the RAM.

3. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

OH ok, thanks. Is that the main difference? Currently I'm using a Dell with 720MB RAM and I'm doing ok, so 2GB would be more than enough.

Thanks for you help.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

It's hard to say... The MacBook line is now 4 years old and there have been several versions released. The very first was a Core Duo and all subsequent models have been Core 2 Duo. With this in mind, If you compare a 1,1 model with a 5,1 model, one would be plastic and the other aluminum.

See all the releases and specs Here