Core Duo MacBook 802.11n?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Solowalker, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Solowalker macrumors regular

Hey, all. Did a search but couldn't find a direct answer. I've been told it's not possible to get 802.11n in my Core Duo MacBook. True? If not, what's the best way to go about upgrading?

2. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

the actual radio is not capable of supporting 11n so you would have to replace the actual radio inside the computer... i don't know where to do that, check mac repair shops?

good luck

3. Solowalker thread starter macrumors regular

Well, yeah, I knew I had to replace it. I guess I should be more specific...

Obviously, my computer came with the Airport Extreme g spec card. I want to upgrade it to an n card but was told that wouldn't be possible. Now, they could have been meaning I can't replace it with Apple's new one for whatever reason or whatnot but that's what I was told. Don't think my source knew too much which is why I question. But I looked on Apple's store site and noticed the card they're selling is not n. True? If so, how come? Anyone know? Do I just have to buy the new one, have it replaced, and then use the n updater? Or do I have to get a third party card? How well do those fair? Would all the interface apps (i.e. menu bar status, etc.) still work and work as well?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've done some looking and can't find any answers. Maybe I have not been looking in the right spot...

4. mbrydone macrumors regular

there are usb wireless adapters on the market for about $40 that have n capabilities but I have no idea how those fair

5. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

It is possible actually. However, it requires a little bit of surgery on your macbook. First you have to locate someone selling a wireless adapter out of a mac pro. The wireless adapter inside a new macbook pro c2d uses only 1 antenna where the macbook uses 2 antennas. So that adapter wouldn't be compatible. You have to find an airport extreme adapter that uses 2 antennas that someone is willing to sell, these adapters with 2 antennas are found inside the MacPro. Not as hard as it sounds, try eBay. This website will sell you a kit you can do at home with everything you need (including adapter for $89):

http://www.quickertek.com/products/80211N_upgrade.php

if you able to find someone selling a wireless adapter out of a MacPro, you can go to this website to read how to install it and save yourself a little money:
    http://www.hardmac.com/articles/71/page1/

Hope that helps. I plan on doing the same thing to my Core Duo Macbook.

6. sdtaco macrumors newbie

Here is a write up I did on it...
    I just updated my Mac Book Pro 2.16 GHz Core Duo to wireless N. I used the 802.11n card from www.fastmac.com . I found www.xlr8yourmac.com shortly after which was more help. Now I am connected to a pure 802.11n network after the upgrade using the AEBS 802.11n Router.

Three things that were helpful or needed, the 802.11n enabler, a program called AP Grapher, and a program called Pacifist. Once the programs were installed and the 802.11n enabler downloaded I shutdown and disassembled the MBP.

The 802.11n card I received from www.fastmac.com had the three antenna connections labeled 1,3,2 in this order on the top of the card. When I opened up the MBP Core Duo there were two antenna wires that that I remove from the 802.11g card. Installed the new card connected the antennas to connection 1 and 2 on the 802.11n card. Reassembled the MBP

I powered on the MBP, opened up Pacifist, and selected open package. Pointed to the 802.11n enabler I downloaded to view the contents. In the Package Contents window, expand the first three icons and select System Folder. Up in the top left corner of Pacifist you will see an install button, select it and it installs. The reason you need this is that the 802.11n dmg install looks to see if you are on a MBP Core 2 Duo and if not, it won’t let you run the 802.11n enabler. Pacifist lets you browse installer packages and extract individual files.

Restarted and opened up AP Grapher to check that I was connecting at 130MB which matched my second laptop MBP Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz. Browse to the Utilities folder and open the program called Network Utility then selected the Network Interface (en1) to verify it said "Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n) "

I have not done any bench mark testing as of yet but file transfers from my local FTP seemed much much faster.

Good Luck
    sdtaco