Core Duo Macbook pro any good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingcrowing, Feb 18, 2008.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Hey, I've got a trade offer for a 1st generation Macbook Pro, it's the 1.86GHz Core Duo. The only question i've got is, will it run hot? I know that the Core 2 Duos and santa rosas really decreased the heat, but does anyone have any experience with the original macbook pros?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have a 2.16ghz core duo macbook pro and have experienced no heat related
    issues

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have the 15" Macbook Pro with the 2.16 Core Duo processor and I've never experienced any heat issues. It does get hot after you've been on it for a while, but that's normal because of the aluminum enclosure. There were some battery recalls a while back when they came out, so I would check to make sure that the battery is not one of those. I don't know where you can check for that though.

4. kvasir macrumors regular

My 1.83 Ghz Core Duo MBP gets warm, but the only time it gets hot is when I'm doing something that's processor intensive. Right now I'm running Safari, Mail, iCal, iTunes, NetNewsWire, Preview, and Keynote and it's just a little warm. I've been browsing and putting together Keynote presentations for about an hour or so.

I would recommend checking the battery to make sure it's been replaced and definitely max out the ram at 2 gigs if you're running Leopard. I've had mine for two years now and I'll be running her until this time next year when AppleCare runs out. Just make sure you check the machine out and make sure that everything is in good order.