Core Duo MacBook RAM Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NewbieNerd, Jan 22, 2008.

1. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

So I'm one of the many around here waiting for a new MBP, which I plan to trick out with a 200GB 7200rpm drive (already have) and 4GB of RAM (just ordered), but in the mean time, I am getting a Core Duo MacBook (NOT Core 2 Duo), so the max usable RAM is 2GB. Will it work fine with the 2x2GB in there, just recognizing 2GB? I guess if nothing else I guess I can just put one single 2GB stick in there, just losing the benefits of having 2 equal sticks in, though that may be negligible. I just figured I'd go ahead and get the 4GB since it will be put to use soon in a MBP (hopefully?) instead of buying 2x1GB and having no use for it later.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The RAM is a hardware limitation so I would guess just sticking the 1 stick in there is the right thing to do, as it wont be able to see the other stick anyway so there'd be no matching boost.

I assume it's not a long term solution anyway, your going to eventually put those sticks in the MBP, and probably swap out what was in the MBP to the CD MB ?

3. NewbieNerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Thanks, yeah, depends on what happens to the MB. I got a BlackBook, so there is a healthy chance that the wife decides to keep it for herself, heh, in which case the standard 2GB from the MBP would go into the MB, which would be perfect. If nothing else, we've got a core solo mini that would be happy to see the boost to 2GB from its current 1.25GB.