Core Duo MBP screen blackout

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 4nr-, Jan 17, 2009.

1. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

My mbp's screen blacks out at seemingly random times. The keyboard seems unresponsive too, but I can hear the hard drive and I think the fans too. When I close the lid the sleep indication light goes on. I thought it got fixed when I installed a new hard drive, an extra gig of ram and a clean leopard install. It ran fine for 24 hours after that, but now, alas. I think it might have something to do with some settings being reset when the computer doesnt get any power for a long time so im taking out the battery before I go to bed.

The mbp has an ati x1600 chipset and not one of the faulty nvidia ones.

Thanks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Sounds like a broken stick of RAM to me, but i would need to know which model of Macbook pro you have, as it does not say in your signature.

3. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

Ive replaced the RAM already, but no luck, maybe its the slot the RAM is held in? I'll give the other slot alone a try tomorrow as I am on my way out now. Thanks for the reply.

Its a 1,1
    Core Duo 2,0 ghz
    2gb
    320gb WC Blue
    broken superdrive (ordered replacement)

Im gonna try restoring the firmware with apples firmware restoration cds, but I dont have a working cd drive. Anybody know if I can mount the dmg to my ipod instead of using a cd?

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

When the display goes out, is it just the backlighting or the entire LCD? Look closely. Does the keyboard issue happen during the LCD issue? Please post a copy of the log from that time from the Console -> system.log.

5. 4nr- thread starter macrumors regular

4nr-

It's the entire screen. The keyboard issue happens at the same time. I now have it hooked up to an external monitor and that seems to be fine (not gonna make any conclusions too early).

This is a fraction of the Log, its hard to locate where the screen goes blank. The memory errors at the end repeat themselves a lot in the log in the end but cannot be found earlier on:

Attached Files:

• log.doc
      File size:
      127.5 KB
      Views: