Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo laptop casing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BardiaD, Mar 12, 2013.

1. BardiaD macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been scouring the dark reccess of the interent trying to find an answer to this, but alas no luck. So I was hoping you guys could help me out.

My issue is this, I have an old 17" Core Duo MBP that's pretty beat up. The case is dented and scratched to all hell. The internals have been running fine for years, but the outsides a mess. I've since gotten a new machine to work on, but the old 17" holds nostalgic value for me.

As luck should have it, I've come across a 17" Core2Duo that's totally dead, BUT the outer encasing for the computer is completely scratch free/new.

My idea was to just swap the internals of my old working MBP into the chassis of this new looking machine. Do you guys have any insight into wether this is possible or not? Is there any major differences in the measurements or any other reason this won't work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    B

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the 17" Core 2 Duo line in the original form lasted for about 2 years, so I would make sure it's the Late 2006 model; if it's the Late 2006 model, then it should work. I would not know about the others.

Just curious how much is the dead MacBook Pro?

3. BardiaD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check it out once I go to work and take a look at it. It'd be great if I could get a new shell for my old laptop, I love that thing!

What do you mean exactly? I work at a Apple reseller, and a customer came in and dropped it off for service. He ended up buying a new one and trashed the old one. I think the HDD failed. So it doesn't actually cost anything, it's considered garbage at this point. Hope that helped?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I see. Then the attempt to worth it.

I was just afraid if you were being sold a dud computer for like $300 or something.

5. BardiaD thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh. Fair enough. Thanks! Here's hoping it works!

6. BardiaD thread starter macrumors newbie

It Worked! (Mostly)

Just for anyone who's curious about the results of this little experiment. Everything's been moved over and it works pretty well.

A few things didn't work as expected:

The display assembly from the C2D machine wasn't able to be used with my CD logic board, the issue I think has to do with the iSight.

The other problem was the palm rest thermal sensor didn't work when I moved it over, I don't know if this was previously broken or I broke it doing the swap. This sensor being broken causes the fans to spin at maximum the whole time, BUT I am using smcFanControl anyway so it's not a huge deal, I just have to be mindful to change the fan settings if the machine gets too hot.

Hope this helps for anyone looking to do the same thing!