Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Krafty, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, my 1 year MacBook is now way outdated. It sucks cause I do a lot of work on it, and there are times where doing things like printing big images causes the program to crash.
    Is there any way I could trade it in for just a Core 2 Duo? Cause I need something that will work faster and better but I dont have the money.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Your issue is almost certainly related to a lack of memory (and possibly the graphics card). A c2d isn't going to keep stuff from crashing that crashes on a cd; it'll just take a few seconds longer to hang. And no, no trade-ins. If you really have to have a c2d, you'd be better off selling the MB and buying a new/refurbished one.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Unless you can sucker someone off of Craigslist I think you're stuck with that machine.

4. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Bleeeeh, Im one of those people who would at least like to have things close to the most up-to-date machines. I do a lot of multi-tasking and just now, running an installer and Software update caused the installer to freeze. I couldnt believe how my friend had a problem with his Toshiba and they gave him a brand new updated one when he sent his 2 year old one in.

I have 1GB of RAM.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

wow, apple marketing must be doing a brilliant job.

wasnt that their target?...to make consumers update their products every year?

anyways, you are set with a core duo. its a great processor. just get more ram, its dirt cheap.

6. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

There are definite performance increases with the new MacBooks (the Core 2 duo is faster, and the GMA X1300 can use 144mb of system memory for its graphical exploits now)

However, that said, the cost of upgrading now would not be worth it. I suggest waiting until the 2nd new MacBook revision (not the next update, but the one after it) as it will most likely have a Nahalem based CPU in it and you will see huge performance increases

For now, I suggest putting another GB of RAM in it and bust out the ice pack like I do when I need maximum power out of my sweet 1.33GHz G4 ;)

P.S. are you running Leopard or Tiger?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The problem is not virtually in the processor but the memory. Upgrade to 2GB and you'll see a good improvement especially in multitasking. You just don't have enough breathing space to have so much programs/tabs opened.

Furthermore, even if you had a processor that has the speed of something like 1000GHz, it wouldn't matter if your bottlenecked by the ram.

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Leopard.

Alright, what would be the cheapest way of getting RAM? Please dont say eBay cause I've had a bad past with them and paypal. I suppose if I could get it then I'll stick with this until I notice massive decrease that tells me I need a new Mac. It can do the job - just not at the speed.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Try your local stores, or look at www.dealnews.com

Look for SO-DIMM, PC-5300 or PC2-5300, 1GB sticks (cause you have a Core Duo, they max out at 2GB), 667MHz Speed. I know they usually run around 20-40 bucks each or around 30-50 for a 2GB (2x1GB) pack. (My price could be a little off, haven't looked at any memory for a while since I maxed out my macbook and apparently, my desktop's still running at x86 so no need to upgrade to 6GB) Sometimes cheaper. I remember I bought a 1GB stick for my dad's iMac (same memory) and it came out to be $3 after rebate.

10. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Newegg I would say is your best bet. Newegg.com

I just ordered 4GB's for my 2.2Ghz MacBook and it is scheduled to arrive by Friday. I would say they have the best prices around, and pretty quick shipping as well. Lots of people on here will probably agree.

(However, the max your machine can handle is 2GB's so thats what you should get)

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright thanks, I figured the RAM upgrade would make a difference. But looking at Apples prices I didnt think there would be a chance of it. So many people on campus ask me to install programs and whatnot that if I was an evil person I probably would have stolen their RAM. But I'm a nice trustworthy guy.
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

13. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I can do without the DL since at the most I would burn is DVD's in which case I have the SuperDrive built in. The C2D would be nice, but if thats not going to be worth it, then an alternative will do. I dont know too much about backlit, I mean im not a genius since I most read posts from other threads and try to gain knowledge. My display is more than fine for me.

14. Animalk macrumors 6502

Your machine is far from out dated. The problem is your software. Something has gone bad and needs to be reinstalled. Your software, or your Operating System(OS).
    Make sure you have more then 10% free space on your hard drive. Otherwise your OS will get tripped up trying to manage everything.

Make sure you have all the latest updates for all your software.

I have several friends and family members with core duo macbooks that are under heavy usage and they are working beautifully.

15. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I suppose.

I listen to a lot of music, so I had to upgrade from a 60GB to 120GB, and now im down to 32GB.

16. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Leopard could be the cause of some of your problems. What apps are you experiencing crashes with? There is a possibility that they have not been optimized of Leopard.

As far as RAM I would suggest Newegg.com or OWC. Both have great prices and are reputable. I would stay away from other places, escpecially ones with super low prices.