core duos and snow leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

now that we know core duos are able to get SL but not have 64bit nor open cl (have a gma 950), is it worth upgrading it to SL?

i see the min specs have doubled in ram to 1 gig reccomended

since my machine is maxed at 2 gigs, will SL be that much of an improvement for this machine? I can understand how it could be for a machine with a c2d and a nice graphics card but im unsure if its worth it on my mb

any ideas?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you have 10.5 now, you may as well just to free up 6GB of HDD space as well as have the modern codebase around for newer programs, seeing that it's only $29.

If you're running 10.4, if you can drop $129, I'd say go for it anyways.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

true

i just worry that it may slow it down more than speed it up since of the increase in system specs

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd pay $30 for all the little refinements alone.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd hope that seeing how a G4 can run Leopard fairly well (2-3 generation old hardware), a CoreDuo could handle 10.6 fine.

6. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

I have essentially the same question as the OP, but from what I can tell, SL will be faster than Leopard. I have kept Tiger because I see Leopard running slower after a computer is converted. I am just going to wait and then get the bundle with iWork and iLife when it shows up on Amazon.