Core i3 or Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Mar 1, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I heard that Core i3/5/7/ are coming to 13"/15"17" Macbook Pros (not Macbook, and that makes sense).
    Should I buy that Macbook Pro right now, or should I be buying my Macbook Pro and regret later?
    Just to keep you this in mind, three week after I bought my Macbook, Apple came out with nVidia Graphic and I have GMA 950, and two weeks after I bought my iPod Touch 1G, the 2G came out with bluetooth, speaker, and better design.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you're asking, I highly doubt the i3i5/i7 will make any difference to you.

3. Muppi macrumors member

Im not that uptodate in this matter but i was wondering if its confirmed that the books will get this processor-update?

4. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Nothing is confirmed yet no, but it's highly probable.

5. Muppi macrumors member

ive googled the subject a bit but didnt seem to find a straightforward anwser. Whats the advantages with the new i3 comparing to the core 2 duo if we're talking about the 13" macbook pro?

6. MrZebra macrumors regular

Well, it's not confirmed but one thing is fore sure: intel is not going to keep Core 2 Duos in production just for Apple, so sooner or later (and I guess it's pretty much sooner than later at this point) it will happen.

7. Pedromperez macrumors newbie

Maybe you can find useful this information:

¨ The i3-330M is at the same level as a Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6 GHz) or even with a P880 (2.66 GHz) in multi-core computing. A difference must be made between multi-core and single-core computing. If applications or game only use one or two cores, then the i3-330M is at a disadvantage due to its low clock rate. ¨.

- Taken from http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-VPC-S11M1E-Notebook.25875.0.html

8. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

?

Ok, I know Core i3 is just same as 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo, but then the baseline of Macbook Pro is 2.26GHz.
    Also, I play games a lot too, such as COD4, CnC Tiberium Wars, etc.
    I was just wondering if I was to aim for Macbook Pro, would it be better to buy now, or wait for a refresh.
    I don't care how much I will wait. I just want the better ones.

btw, you will not know how unlucky I was for all Apple products I bought it: new iPod Touch 2G a two week after, and new nVidia 9400m graphic card for Macbook one month of usage.

9. MeAngry macrumors member

Would you buy a MBP now please? At least we'll have our new versions soon enough then. :D

Nobody really knows when the new MBP's will come out. It could be today, it could be in 2, 3 months. Just decide whether you need it now, or can wait.

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I think a little patience is required here. Wait until the new machines come out and then wait about a month more so you can judge how the early adopters are fairing with their machines. This will allow you to make an informed decision as to which MBP is better for your... the current model... or the models that will soon be released.

11. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

If that's the case it's your fault that we haven't had a new update to the MBP's!

Purchase a C2D so they will release the new lineup already!

I have a bad feeling about today....

12. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

it was my understanding that the popular thought was it would be i5 and i7 with no i3. the base models would stay c2d.

Personally, I would hope for a shift in all the MBPs as the base 13 makes a really good computer especially with a good SSD.

On a different note - just ordered the intel SSD 160gb - woohoo!!! My 17 unibody is going to be flying!

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

as said above intel will not continue to make core 2 duos, so all apples that use intel processors will be updated. I would guess only the white MacBook would get an i3 and the pros would use i5 and i7. I believe there are two line ups of i5s so there should be enough to go around.